Town End, Harthill, & The Bottoms Under Construction
** NOTE** Use the thumbnails below to navigate through the different areas of Gildersome.
Along Town End, taken from Harthill. The dark line of trees marks Grove House across Town Street and the jumble of buildings in the foreground are on the photographer's side of Town End. Behind is what was Sharp's House and Barn and the "Old Factory Yard" or Gelderd's Mill with Grove View behind. All, with the exception of the church and Grove View (which includes Gelderd House), are now gone.
Mount Zion Methodist Church, adjacent to Harthill Lane, is now gone but the Sunday School, seen behind the church, remains and is a private residence today.
The Old Manor House. This photo was probably taken at the same time as the photo above and contains most of the same landmarks. Built in the 1400s or 1500s, most likely with two stories and a thatched roof. There's no telling how many alterations or rebuilds have taken place over the years but I do know that a second storey was removed around 1900. To the left and stretching down to Harthill Bottom was a pinfold where farm animals were collected in lieu of overdue taxes or where wandering strays were held. The Manor was demolished in 1953 . Photo courtesy of the Morley Archives
In the above photo, taken from Harthill circa 1910, the buildings fronting the NE side of Town End are in the foreground with the Greenside Methodist Church situated center left. The jumble of buildings on the left, closest to the camera, belong to Croft House and Farm. Above and left of the church is the Town Green leading into Finkle Ln. Left of the Green, the line of trees marks the lane leading up to Harthill House, now called Graham Walk. The dark line of trees from the center to the right edge indicates the path of Town St.
Harthill & The Bottoms. Lepton Place (now Spring View Lane) is to the left. Town End heads towards The Green off the right of the photo. Zion Methodist Church is the big building top right with the Sunday School being the taller of the two roofs. The Old Manor used to be a two story dwelling but the top floor was removed circa 1900.
1. The Manor House
2. Buildings of Gilpin's Row
3. Buildings along the Bottoms
4. Wellfield Terrace
5. Springfield House and Farm
6. St Peters
7. Barn of Church Farm
8. Old "New Inn"
9. Church School
10. Andrew Hill Farm
11. Mt. Pleasant