Gelderd Road, Vicinity and the Railway Under Construction
** NOTE** Use the thumbnails below to navigate through the different areas of Gildersome.
The Trench Lane gate on Gelderd Rd. The Farnley Wood Plot meeting took place close to this spot.
St. Bernard's Mill
St Barnards Demolished
People on Gelderd Road await Winston Churchill's arrival.
The "Haunted House", what's remains of Harthill Farm.
Gilead House circa 1930s
Gilead Farm is in the upper right corner. As their names suggest, the two fields called Cinderhill and Clay Croft show signs of ancient iron mining and smelting.
Gelderd Road School
Gelderd Road School children circa the 1890s.
Allied Mill after a fire in 1911. The gate under the tree is in front of Allied House and the cottages to the right of the burned out mill is Ellis Row.
Old Stone Pitts Road, now a footpath.
The Old Windmill. Probably built around 1780 By John Turton and was part of the Turton Hall estate. The photograph, circa 1890, shows Ephram Ellis and his 2 children with schoolmasters from the Turton Hall Academy in the funny hats. Used to grind corn, the windmill fell into disrepair before this photo was shot and was demolished about 1970.
Gildersome Lodge. Photo probably taken in the 1960s.
Looking Toward Gildersome. After the removal of the rail line and before the route became A650.
Looking Away from Gildersome. Almost the same time and location as the photo above. The Old Brickworks chimney is visible in the distance.