Gildersome in Art by Charles Soderlund © 2022
Glen Marshall painted this lovely interpretation of Gildersome's Old Manor circa 1850. The Old Leeds Road, Harthill Lane) can be seen in the foreground. Gelderd Rd, built in 1825, became the quickest route to Leeds and the importance of old Leeds Road faded until it eventually became a footpath.
The Old Manor House and Pinfold as it may have looked circa 1600. A portion of the the tiny hamlet of Guildersham lies in the bottoms below. The road to Leeds ran in front of the Manor and off to the right. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
Major Joshua Greathead lived in this house which was located on today's Church St. Whether he built it or not is a matter for conjecture. In the 1666 Hearth Tax returns for Gildersome, the Major's son, also called Joshua, is recorded as the occupant (Joshua Jr died the previous year even though his name still made it on to list). Also in the tax returns, the house is reported as having five hearths, presumably four in the house and one in the attached kitchen. The Major owned a large amount of land behind the house stretching to Farnley Wood Beck to the north, somewhat beyond Carr Hall to the east and Gildersome Lane to the west. This all was known as Major's Farm and later became Scatcherd family property for almost 200 years. It was demolished around 1900. Today, Church Farm lies near the location of the house. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
For centuries, an ancient Thorn tree sat on Gildersome's waste which was later to become The Green. It was actually located between today's lockup shop (Karen's) and the War Memorial. It was shown on an 1824 map but was cut down about 20 years after that. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
The old Parsonage House near Farnley Wood Beck, circa 1830s. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
The Bottoms and Harthill about 1910. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
The Old Windmill, built circa 1781 by John Turton of Turton Hall. It was located on today's new industrial park. By Hertz Van Rentle, aka Andrew Bedford.
Charles Michael North did the painting above and the two sketches below. Above is Andrew Hill Farm circa 1950. A date above the door revealed that it was built in 1774.
Joshua Greatheed (1615-1685) of Gildersome, it's the only likeness of Joshua Greatheed known to be in existence. From a collection of Norrison Scatcherd on display at the Morley Town Hall.
A Wedgewood Cameo of Joseph Priestley, kept at Harthill House until about 1900. The Bilbrough family who resided there were related to him and the Priestley's of Field Head, Birstall.