Old Postal Cards and Photos of Gildersome
Most photos in this photo collection were taken circa 1900 to 1920.
** NOTE** A click on a thumbnail takes you to a group of photos from that general area. (Below)
Branch Road (Gelderd Rd to The Green)
Where the photographer stood on Branch Rd. and the direction of the shot .
(1) Gelderd Rd. and Branch End. This shot was lifted from the "Scenes of Gildersome" postcard (above). I originally mislabeled this as Branch and Beulah Terrace but was kindly corrected by a reader. Gelderd Rd. runs off to the left and Branch to the right. The row of houses to the right was called Ebenezer Row. Behind is Asquith Ave. and the bridge to Morley. Left, the same spot today.
(2) Maggot Row. Worker's Cottages. Can be found on an 1850s Map.
(3) Branch Rd at Highfield Rd. A young girl and her dog stand in front of Fred Buckley's Grocery. Across the road is the Yarra House Yard. Down the street to the left is Maggot Row and across from that, you can just make out the end of the Ebenezer Cottages.
(4) Highfield Mill
(5) The Griffin Head Inn from Branch Rd. The two women in the foreground, left, are standing in front of the north end of Highfield Row where a shopkeeper stands next to his shop. Behind the stone wall on the right is the grounds of Highfield Mill. The lamppost near the Griffin can be seen in the next shot (4).
(6) Branch Rd at the Griffin. The photographer has his back to the Griffin and is shooting back down Branch Rd. to the location he stood when he took the previous photo. The same lamppost can be clearly seen as well as the opposite corner of the same shop at the end of Highfield Row. The roof to the left of the lamp is a building in Highfield Mills and the houses to the left of that were for let to workers. To the extreme right, and not seen in this shot, is the intersection with Beulah Terrace.
(7) Two views of the Old Griffin Head, early 1900s. Both courtesy of the Morley Archives.
(8) These two 1929 aerial shots show all areas covered by photos 2 thru 6, above.
Town St. from the Griffin to the Green.
(1) Town Street and College Rd. Turton Hall is to the right and slightly behind the Photographer. The first building on the right is part of Willow Garth Terrace then Webster Row fades out in the distance, The roofline and chimneys to the left is The Griffin Head Inn. The tall chimney and cooling tower belongs to Highfield Mills on the far side of Beulah Terrace.
(2) Turton Hall circa 1888. At that time, Turton Hall was known as Turton Hall Academy and had, at various times from 40 to 90 students. A portion of The Green and Town Street can just be seen under Town End St. By 1910, Turton Hall became a residence once again along with the Dormitories and Hall Fold Cottages.
(3) Town Green about 100 years ago.
5. Grove Yard
6. Chimneys of Grove House
7. St Peters
8. Shop then, Karen's Pantry today
(4) Victoria Place on the Green. The shop on the right is the same shop marked as #1 in the large photo above (covered with advertising). The shop must also have doubled as a post office since it's the title of the post card.
Victoria Place. This shot, taken from Harthill, shows the same area as the #4 Photo but from a slightly different angle. Many of the buildings seen in this photo still exist, though more or less altered. The line of trees to the middle left marks the lane to Harthill House.
(5) Green Terrace
(6) War Memorial with Turton Hall in the background. Click here to see a list of the names on the Memorial.
Town End, Harthill, & The Bottoms
(1) Buildings along the north Green and proceeding up Town End to the right.
Photo Courtesy of Joyce Smith
Photo Courtesy of Joyce Smith
1. Shops then, Karen's Pantry today
2. Gelderd's House, now part of Grove View
3. Sharp's House
4. Sharp's Barn
6. Numbers 8 thru 12 Town End
7. Old Miner's Arms
8. Maiden Mills
(1.2) Miner's Arms. Here is numbers 6 and 7 from the previous picture. The Old Miner's Arms Pub (light color on right) dates back to 1850 if not earlier. At the time of this photo, it was a hardware shop. Photo Courtesy of Morley Archives
(2) Harthill House circa 1910. The newest portion built around 1817. The older portions are behind and also to the left, covered by the trees. Behind, were outbuildings which originally may have been a residence but later, in the 1700s, became a smithy and in the 1800s, stables and warehouse for the malting trade. The remaining Old House and outbuilding walls may be the oldest structures still standing in Gildersome.
Photo Courtesy of Morley Archives
Photo Courtesy of Morley Archives
(3) Greenside Methodist Church
(4) Along Town End, taken from Harthill. The dark line of trees marks Grove House across Town Street and the jumble of buildings in the foreground are on the photographer's side of Town End St. Behind is what was Sharp's House and Barn and the "Old Factory Yard" or Gelderd's Mill with Grove View behind. All, with the exception of the church and Grove View (which includes Gelderd House), are now gone.
(6)Mount Zion Methodist Church, adjacent to Harthill Lane, is now gone but the Sunday School, seen behind the church, remains and is a private residence today.
(7) In the above photo, taken from Harthill circa 1910, the buildings fronting the NE side of Town End St. are in the foreground with the Greenside Methodist Church situated center left. The jumble of buildings on the left, closest to the camera, belong to Croft House and Farm. Above and left of the church is the Town Green leading into Finkle Ln. Left of the Green, the line of trees marks the lane leading up to Harthill House, now called Graham Walk. The dark line of trees from the center to the right edge indicates the path of Town St.
(8) Harthill & The Bottoms. Lepton Place (now Spring View Lane) is to the left. Town End St. heads towards The Green off the right of the photo. Zion Methodist Church is the big building top right with the Sunday School being the taller of the two roofs. The Old Manor used to be a two story dwelling but the top floor was removed circa 1900. As far as I know, this is the only known photo of Gildersome Manor.
(9) View from Harthill.
1. The Manor House
2. Buildings of Gilpin's Row
3. Buildings along the Bottoms
4. Wellfield Terrace
5. Springfield House and Farm
6. St Peters
7. Barn of Church Farm
8. Old "New Inn"
9. Church School
10. Andrew Hill Farm
11. Mt. Pleasant
(10) The Old Manor House. This photo was probably taken at the same time as the photo above and contains most of the same landmarks. Built in the 1400s or 1500s, most likely with two stories and a thatched roof. There's no telling how many alterations or rebuilds have taken place over the years but I do know that a second storey was removed around 1900. To the left and stretching down to Harthill Bottom was a pinfold where farm animals were collected in lieu of overdue taxes or where wandering strays were held. The Manor was torn down in 1953 . Photo courtesy of the Morley Archives
Town St. - The Green to Church St.
(1) Grove House. Once the home of wealthy residents, now the location of the Gildersome Meeting Hall and Library. Photo Courtesy of Joyce Smith
(2) Town St and Mill Lane. Looking toward St Peter's Church. Street Lane bends off to the left and Church St. to the right. This is practically the opposite shot of the photo below.
(3) The photographer is near the corner of Town St. and Street Lane, circa 1910. Town St. makes a bend at the Green. Rose Cottage is on the left. Where the three men stand is the intersection at Mill Lane and behind them is Little Green. The chimney in the foreground was a left over from the old Gelderd Mills and behind that is Grove View. In the distance is the chimney and cooling tower of Highfield Mill. Beneath the cooling tower and partially obscured by the tree is the present day sandwich shop. The Gildersome Conservative Club now occupies the the grassy area in the foreground. With thanks to Andrew Bedford
(4) Rose Cottage
(1) Joshua Greathead's House on Church Street. This photo was taken before 1900. After that, the old house was torn down and replaced by a new house that fronts along Church St. approximately where the constible is standing. Still in existence, the new house was called Church Farm House.
(2) St. Peter's Parish Church. Above was the 2nd Church built on the same spot in 1873 as the original that was built in 1777. It was torn down during the 1980s due to structural damage. The original was destroyed by fire. (The top photo courtesy of Margaret and Alan Kirk)
(3) Spring View, Rock House and Poplar House (right to left) Courtesy of Gildersome Past, Present & Future.
(4) St Peter's Church Schools. Torn down in 1984. The first gate on the left leads to Spring View House whose corner is just visible. In the 1800s, the house past the schools on the left of Church St., was the Town Meeting Room and Baptist School. The building at the road's vanishing point is the first house at the intersection of Mt Pleasant and Church St. The man is standing at the boundary of Greathead's Farm and the New Inn Property.
(5) The Parish Schools, located near today's Church St and Churchgate. Beyond the Schools, you can make out a bit of Spring View House and Rock House.
(6) The New Inn (before Art Deco)
(7) Church St Cottages. I'm not certain, but I believe these cottages were located at today's 66 Church St.
(8) West End Stores. Built after 1850.
(9) Mount Pleasant
(1) Stone Row looking north to the intersection of Street Lane & Town/Church Streets.
(2) Stone Row looking south. The woman and children in the photo above are standing at the other end of the stone wall. (Courtesy of Margaret and Alan Kirk)
(4) Street Lane at Finkle Lane looking north.
(5) The Vicarage was built around 1870 and today is a home for the elderly.
(1) The Old Cooperative Store and buildings, left, almost where the new store sits today. Where the ladies are standing is Windsor Court today and the building behind is still with us. You can just make out the Lion Store on the extreme left of the road bend (see: photo below)
(2) Lion Store then, Co-Op Pharmacy now. (Click to enlarge)
(3) Park House, circa 1930s. A view from the Park side.
(4) Glover Row. Looking in the direction of Street Lane. Across from Belmont.
Gelderd Road and Vacinity
(1) St. Bernard's Mill
(2) Cricket Hill
(3) Allied Mill after a fire in 1911. The gate under the tree is in front of Allied House and the cottages to the right of the burned out mill is Ellis Row.
(4) College Road
(5) The Old Windmill. Probably built around 1780 By John Turton and was part of the Turton Hall estate. The photograph, circa 1890, shows Ephram Ellis and his 2 children with masters from the Turton Hall Academy in the funny hats. Used to grind corn, the windmill fell into disrepair before this photo was shot and was demolished about 1970.
(6) Fattycake Colliery
(7) Gildersome Lodge. Photo probably taken in the 1960s.
The Street (Bradford/Wakefield Rd)
Instead of a modern map which would only show the roundabout, this portion of a 1908 map has been substituted. The green circle shows the approximate location of the roundabout today. Numbers 9 & 10 (below) are off the map in the direction of the arrow at what is now Wakefield Rd (A650).
(1) Bradford Road, Gelderd Road and Street Lane all came together where the constable is standing. Looking in the direction of Bradford, the sign reads Huddersfield/Leeds. The rail line from Gildersome Station runs in a tunnel directly under the crossroads. The photos numbered 2 thru 5 below, are all taken at the crossroads.
(2) Crossroads. Directly behind the building in the center is the Gildersome railway station and below is the entrance to the tunnel.
(3) The Kings Arms at the crossroads. All three photos.
(4) The Spread Eagle
(7) Toll Bar and toll keepers house, looking towards the crossroads. The building in the middle is the Smithy shown on the map above. The tool bar may have been in this place since the 1826 and the creation of Gelderd Rd.
(8) Plantation House
(9) Toward Gildersome. After the removal of the rail line and before the route became A650.
(10) Looking Away from Gildersome. Almost the same time and location as the photo above. The Old Brickworks chimney is visible in the distance.